Tuesday, April 3, 2012

HANDLING TASKS


Good morning everyone!


How are you today?

 I feel so sorry for not writing more these days but I’ve been a little busy and tired L

I am also working on some writing projects, therefore I feel dizzy at night ha ha

Anyway, here I am and today’s post requires a fresh mind, this is also why I chose to write it this morning.
I have 40 pages left to read of “El Narco. Inside Mexico’s criminal Insurgency” by Ioan Grillo and I want to underline some aspects of the book that really interested me.

The author did, according to me, a great job. I find this book very different than many others I read (not on El Narco but of other international concern). Ioan Grillo has a clear, clean and extremely direct way of writing and explaining topics that are very delicate and also dangerous.

He thoroughly studies the Mexican situation and developed the book with academic precision. He conducted interesting interviews with traffickers, smugglers, professional killers, prisoners. But the result of his work is a catchy report of facts, a clear analysis and, most important of all, clean and vivid description of persons. This latest aspect is the one I appreciate mostly in this book. I am very fond of persons, I love to listen to people who have stories to tell. (actually everyone has one). I used to work in a prison, and what I loved the most was the human relation the prisoners looked for, they loved to talk to me, to express points of view and I used to listen. I felt really rich every time I went out. And, while reading Ioan Grillo’s book, I found myself appreciating every single person he made me meet.

What I wanted to highlight today was the attitude of some of the most dangerous personalities involved in the drug trafficking. 
Just a couple of passages: 
“[...]soon after the meeting, Gustavo got the nod to start training as a sicario. He had just turned eighteen. […] He thought me how you have to keep steady, keep focused, and not miss the target. […] That night I had bad dreams.” Gustavo did more hits and the bad dreams stopped. “Before I go out, I pray Jesus and clear my mind. I never take drugs or drink before a job as I need my five senses. When I come back, I will relax and smoke a spliff and listen to music. […]” For Gustavo, being an assassin has given him a sense of achievement, to be a somebody in a barrio full of nobodies[…].”I need to keep strong and focused. I can’t spend all my time worrying if they are going to kill me or not. Everyone dies in the end[…]”.

“You have to be friends with each other in this business, because you have to trust each other. If someone is loyal and works well, it is because they trust you. It can be hard for an informant to trust me and for me to trust them. So you have to build that trust”.

These are just a couple of quotes from the book. And why did I choose these passages? Well, obviously not because these two figures, the slayer and the informant, are persons that should be an example of behavior, but because, to me, they can nevertheless give a good image of the professional who does a difficult and dangerous job. What I read through these lines, which are just a small part of what you will find in the book, is of pivotal importance. It depicts the real image of what a professional should be. And let’s analyze the environment where these professionals work. They do not work in an air-conditioned office, nor at the head of a multinational company. They are  assassins. But the attitude they have towards their tasks is the one of a company businessman. We have comfortable work places, but we have to struggle to keep calm in difficult situations. These men
Kill other men and women, and they are able to focus on their task and keep their mind clear. 
This is, to me, an important point that we need to consider when we find ourselves in hard moments. We should find the right balance and go back to reality. There are situations, in this world, that we can barely imagine. People killing other human being, destroyed families… we should keep in mind that we are so lucky to work and live in places where there is no such risk. (I hope, at least). 

So read back the lines I quoted, and try to focus on how simple it is to handle (difficult) tasks in our lives, even though we think it’s not.

Sorry if I bothered you with these words, but it was pivotal, to me.

Marti




Buongiorno a tutti!

Come state oggi? 

Mi dispiace moltissimo per non aver scritto in questi giorni L

Sto lavorando ad un paio di progetti e a fine giornata mi sentivo sempre stanca he he

Comunque, eccomi qui oggi con la mente fresca, cosa che questo post richiede nella maniera più assoluta.

Mi mancano una quarantina di pagine per finire “El Narco. Inside Mexico’s criminal Insurgency” di Ioan Grillo e vorrei sottolineare alcuni aspetti che mi hanno particolarmente colpito in questo libro.

L’autore, a mio avviso, ha fatto proprio un lavoro eccelso. Credo che questo libro sia molto diverso da altri che parlano di aspetti culturali e di attualità internazionale. Ioan Grillo ha una penna chiara, pulita ed estremamente diretta per spiegare argomenti che sono molto delicati e pericolosi.

Ha studiato attentamente la situazione in Messico e ha sviluppato il libro con precisione accademica. Ha condotto interessantissime interviste con trafficanti, spacciatori, killer di professione, prigionieri. Ma il risultato del suo lavoro è un report attento di fatti, una chiara analisi e, cosa più importante di tutte, una pulita e vivida descrizione delle persone che ha incontrato nel suo cammino. Quest’ultimo aspetto è quello che apprezzo di più nella sua pubblicazione.
 Mi piacciono molto le persone, adoro ascoltarle quando hanno la loro storia da raccontare (e in realtà tutte ne hanno una). Quando lavoravo in prigione, ciò che adoravo di più era la relazione umana che avevo con i carcerati. Parlavano molto con me, e adoravano esprimere i loro punti di vista. Io ascoltavo. Ogni volta che ne uscivo mi sentivo più ricca. E durante la lettura di Ioan Grillo, mi sono trovata davanti a tutte le singole persone che mi ha fatto conoscere.

Voglio sottolineare pertanto l’atteggiamento di alcune delle personalità più pericolose coinvolte nel narcotraffico. Solo un paio di passaggi, che mantengo in lingua originale: 

 “[...]soon after the meeting, Gustavo got the nod to start training as a sicario. He had just turned eighteen. […] He thought me how you have to keep steady, keep focused, and not miss the target. […] That night I had bad dreams.” Gustavo did more hits and the bad dreams stopped. “Before I go out, I pray Jesus and clear my mind. I never take drugs or drink before a job as I need my five senses. When I come back, I will relax and smoke a spliff and listen to music. […]” For Gustavo, being an assassin has given him a sense of achievement, to be a somebody in a barrio full of nobodies[…].”I need to keep strong and focused. I can’t spend all my time worrying if they are going to kill me or not. Everyone dies in the end[…]”.

“You have to be friends with each other in this business, because you have to trust each other. If someone is loyal and works well, it is because they trust you. It can be hard for an informant to trust me and for me to trust them. So you have to build that trust”.

Queste sono solo un paio di citazioni dal libro.  E perché le ho scelte? Ovviamente non perché queste due persone siano un modello da seguire, sono assassini, informatori, ma perché sono, a mio modo di vedere, persone che riescono a trasmettere un’immagine della professionalità di chi lavora in ambienti difficili e pericolosi. Quello che trovate nel libro è la descrizione esatta dell’immagine reale di quello che un professionista dovrebbe essere. Ma la grande differenza è l’ambiente lavorativo in cui ci si trova a lavorare.
 Non si trovano di certo in uffici con aria condizionata o riscaldamento e neppure sono a capo di grandi multinazionali. Sono assassini. Ma il loro atteggiamento verso i loro compiti è quello di un uomo d’affari. Noi tutti lavoriamo in luoghi comodi, confortevoli, ma ci troviamo a dover “lottare” , alle volte, per mantenere la calma in situazioni difficili. Questi uomini uccidono altri uomini e donne, eppure sono in grado di rimanere focalizzati sui loro obiettivi e mantenere la mente libera. Questo è un punto fondamentale che è necessario prendere in considerazione mentre ci troviamo in momenti duri.
 Dovremmo trovare il corretto equilibrio e ritornare alla realtà. Ci sono situazioni, in questo mondo, che noi non possiamo nemmeno immaginare. Persone che ammazzano altri esseri umani, famiglie distrutte… dovremmo tenere a mente che siamo fortunati a lavorare e vivere in luoghi liberi da tali rischi (almeno, lo spero!). 

Quindi, leggete le righe che ho trascritto e cerchiamo di focalizzarci su come è facile gestire le situazioni difficili che dobbiamo affrontare.


Scusate se vi ho tediato con queste parole, ma erano molto importanti per me.

Marti

1 comment:

Janosh said...

sempre più interessante Marti! J.

Follow me